Intolerant of Intolerance Except the Intolerance of the Intolerant.

Monday, April 10, 2006

Sir Winston Dumbass


bleufeld
Originally uploaded by raindogzilla.
Somebody- was it Churchill?- said something along the lines of; if you weren't a liberal at 20, you had no heart, and, if you weren't conservative at 40, you had no brain.

Obviously, I agree with the first part. But, I think that the latter sells mankind short. The loss of those ideals most of us have when we're young is not some inevitable side effect of the maturing process. Nor is it the much more disturbing opening of the eyes to some right-wing "reality" or just "the way the world works."

No, it's giving up plain and simple. Utopia cannot- and probably should not-ever be attained. The perfection of an ideology will always fall to the corruption of those charged with putting it into action. But it doesn't matter. Just because it can't be made perfect doesn't mean that it can't be made better. Letting one's ideals fall by the wayside for this reason is just lazy.

Perhaps that's why there's no such thing as a "conservative intellectual".

No, the obviously scary smart, William F. Buckley's take on politics is the equivalent of a priest's take on sex. Misguided, unwarranted, and decidedly not intellectual.

2 Comments:

Blogger KidKawartha said...

"Get writing, Kawasaki" I deeply resent the word kawasaki. I am now, and always will be, a Honda man. I'm actually looking for a mid-80's Interceptor right now while I still have some coin in the bank from my disability payout. I'm having a really big motivation and raison d'etre problem re: writing at my blog. I'm tired and feel that I have nothing of import to say. It's really bad. And I'm not as good with humour or literature or other worthy topics like my friends are. I don't know. My day-to-day thoughts are so strange as to be non-publishable.

But, on to your post. See you fixed the comment thing. Kudos. This is much better.

I think that liberalism and conservatism are vastly different today than they were 60 years ago. BTW, I can't find that quote in relation to Churchill except on a couple of rightie blogs. I think that conservatism is finally being exposed worldwide for what it is- the politics of the rich, the privileged, the owners of the "ownership society". The politics of profit from conflict and from an unsustainable form of living, of ultimate acquiescence to the status quo. I believe it's only valuable function is to operate as a minor minority gov't. That's it. It's interesting b/c I identify conservatism with idealism just as much as liberalism- they just have totally different ideals and values relating to humanity, nature, relationships and power.

For what it's worth, I'm a kind of priest and I think my ideas re:sex are worth at least a discussion....... ;)

Good posting, JD.

April 10, 2006 4:55 PM

 
Blogger durrati said...

Calling the Bushies conservatives is like calling cannibals french kissers. As much as I dislike all aspects of conservative political philosophy I cannot tar the names of Disraeli, Dirksen and Robert Taft by linking them with this crowd. Even if Boortz, Hannityjob and the admin insist on calling themselves conservatives we must coin a fresh and more accurate moniker... "Radical Dumbass Bloodsuckers" comes to mind....

Good post....

April 10, 2006 7:53 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home