Intolerant of Intolerance Except the Intolerance of the Intolerant.

Friday, April 14, 2006

How much Up could an Upchuck chuck if an Upchuck could chuck Up?


Charl
Originally uploaded by raindogzilla.
Let's see:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Yep, 2nd Amendment time. Being no legal scholar, I can only read it as words in a sentence and, at first glance, it appears that this "right" Chuck Heston, Wayne LaPierre, and rednecks everywhere are continuously kvetching about, is entirely contingent on the "well regulated Militia, being necessary..."

When it was drafted, there was no U.S. Army let alone a National Guard. Every able bodied male was expected to come to their respective State's call armed with their own weapon because the States didn't have arsenals and didn't want to spend the money necessary to arm all the men.

I think we can all agree that this "well regulated Militia" is no longer necessary- though with the National Guard busy in the Iraq clusterfuck, we may have to rethink that one. Therefore, I submit to you that the 2nd Amendment is no longer valid or binding, that a redrafting is in order, and that, until the reworking is done, Congress is essentially free to ban all personal firearms*.
*- note I didn't say they should, just that they could.

I see nothing wrong with having all firearms registered, their firing pin imprints and lands/grooves documented.
I see nothing wrong with holding the individual gun owner criminally responsible for any damage done with his or her weapon, regardless of who's hands it's in when it occurs. I see nothing wrong with holding the gun manufacturers responsible when their product ends up on the streets unregistered and for the deaths that follow.

In the immortal words of Lynyrd Skynyrd, "Handguns are made for killing. They ain't no good for nothing else..." We have to register our cars every year and pay to insure them against the damage we may cause through their use. And cars aren't even meant to kill. Seems kind of silly that some folks want to spout off about "cold, dead hands" and such rot over legislative measures meant to inspire responsibility(Hell, they can still do their cold, dead hands schtick in their next stand-off with the blue-helmeted UN/ZOG troops who moved in silently in black helicopters).

I should make this clear, I own two handguns- an old relic and a modern Sig. I have a concealed carry permit and, in fact, I'm licensed to teach the class necessary for obtaining it. I don't hunt but the rest of my family does and I really don't have a problem with it. I don't want to give up my weapons but I have no problem with anybody- up to and including the government, knowing that I own them.

Soon, Charlton Heston will be actually cold and dead and someone can wrap his stiff little fingers around that famous musket. At least he'll rot happy.

1 Comments:

Blogger KidKawartha said...

I was at my brother's a weekend or two ago, and we were listening to CBC radio on a saturday afternoon. My hero, and famous Canadian advocate of oppressed people around the world, Bruce Cockburn, was in a long, personal interview. He was asked about the rumor of his seemingly backwards view of personal gun ownership, and he said "I've been in too many places where the only gun-owners were the government, and I've seen too often the massacres of innocent, unarmed people."
I tend to agree with him.
On another note, most americans don't realize that canadian per capita gun ownership is actually higher than the state's. So if you ever want to invade for our plentiful fresh water or to secure our oil-sand fields, you might get a little surprise. ;)
I stopped hunting about 4 months after I got my license 20 years ago. I just realized that wanting the opportunity to blow a rabbit to pieces was both ridiculous and barbaric.

April 14, 2006 12:38 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home